Sad end for Cup adventure

Wednesday 20 November

Ilkeston FC's memorable adventure in the FA Youth Cup came to a disappointing end last night when they were beaten 1-0 at the New Manor Ground by Accrington Stanley.

A lack of ruthlessness in front of goal brought about their second round downfall - especially in the first half when they dominated play with their highly-impressive passing game.

And when the diminutive Nathan Webb was allowed to score with a glancing header from a 70th minute free kick, that proved the be the decisive moment of the game.

Said manager Kevin Wilson: "It was a disappointing way to go out because in all honesty, we didn't deserve to lose. But sometimes in this game you don't get what you deserve - and that's another part of the learning curve for these boys.

"The whole adventure has been one big learning curve and I'm immensely proud of them. We were one of the few clubs from this level of football to make it through to the second round proper and they are an absolute credit to the Ilkeston FC Academy. I think it's fantastic to achieve what we have in only our third season.

"Just as we did against Northampton in the last round, we've come up against League opposition and for long periods of the game, they couldn't get the ball from us. We didn't make the most of the chances we created ... but that was the only disappointing aspect of our performance.

"Now the boys have to dust themselves down and push on from here. They are a really talented group and I'm convinced that many of them will have a big part to play in the future of this club."

Rai Simons threatened to score twice in the opening four minutes and Che Adams struck a post, yet at the interval, the young Robins had nothing to show for their undoubted dominance.

By that stage, Accrington had done nothing to suggest they would go on and win the game. But they began to impose themselves more after the break - and certainly drew confidence from the goal.

Powered by WidaGroup | Creative by BowlesAssociates